Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of a truly superb and valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish, and Dutch pictures, of the first class, and in the highest state of preservation , 
- A catalogue of a truly superb and valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish, and Dutch pictures, of the first class, and in the highest state of preservation : selected with very superior taste, and at a liberal expence, from several of the most distinguished cabinets on the Continent : the genuine property of Walsh Porter, Esq. going abroad : among numerous chef d'œuvres of the great and most celebrated masters in this collection are : the Virgin with the rabbit, by Corregio, from the collection of the King of Naples : Virgin and Child, Leon. da Vinci, truly capital : the Young card players, Carravagio, from the Aldobrandini palace : two brilliant landscapes, by Claude, from the Duke de Choiseuil's collection : the Tambour battant, Teniers, from the duc de Praslin's ditto : Le roi dépouillé, a surprising picture, by Schalken, formerly in the collection of the late King of France : various capital landscapes by S. Rosa, Cuyp, V. de Velde, C. du Jardin, and Pynaker : the celebrated Phaeton, by Wilson : and a landscape, by Gainsborough : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie, at his Great Room, Pall Mall, on Tuesday, March the 22d, 1803, and following day, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
[London] : J. Smeeton, Printer, 148, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 10 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 3 no.29 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-171
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 6577
Place of sale: London.
Date of sale: March 22d-23rd, 1803.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 29 of 47 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Porter, Walsh, -1809Porter, Walsh, -1809 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.