Leers, Dan, William Henry Fox Talbot and the promise of photography , 
- William Henry Fox Talbot and the promise of photography / Dan Leers ; with contributions by Larry J. Schaaf.
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania : Carnegie Museum of Art, 
- Physical Description:
- 95 pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryTR647.T35 L44 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition William Henry Fox Talbot and the Promise of Photography at Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, November 18, 2017-February 11, 2018."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 88-89).
This publication serves as a primer on the work of William Henry Fox Talbot, a true interdisciplinary innovator who drew on his knowledge of art, botany, chemistry and optics to become one of the inventors of photography in 1839. Talbot's 'photogenic drawings' (photograms), calotypes and salted paper prints are some of the first-ever examples of images captured on paper. This book brings together more than 30 photographs by Talbot that demonstrate his wide-ranging interests, including nature, still-life, portraiture, architecture and landscape. Some of these images are previously unpublished. Through thematic groupings elucidated by noted Talbot scholar Larry Schaaf, the book reveals the photographer's early striving to test the boundaries of his medium at a historic moment when art and science intersected. With its luminous reproductions of Talbot's fragile works, this publication demonstrates that, in its earliest days, photography required a form of magic-making and innovation that continues to inspire people today. Exhibition: Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, United States (18.11.2017 - 11.02.2018).
- Director's foreword / Lynn Zelevansky -- William Henry Fox Talbot and the promise of photography / Dan Leers -- Plates. First impressions ; Wilderness ; The inspiration of Lacock Abbey ; Into the world ; The transience of light.
- Subject Terms:
- Fotografie.Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877 -- Exhibitions.Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877.Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877.