IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Wyon, Leonard Charles, 1826-1891, Prize medal proofs, International Exhibition, London, 1862, [1862?]
Prize medal proofs, International Exhibition, London, 1862.
- Additional Title(s):
Inscription on reverse: 1862 Londini, honoris causa
- Physical Description:
- 2 proofs : embossed paper ; each 8 cm in diameter, on sheet 16 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2021 3cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The embossed paper designs, colored bronze, are the same size (76 mm) as the bronze medals issued as commemorative prizes for the International Exhibition. The actual medals were inscribed with the names of winners on the edges.
The obverse depicts Britannia seated with a lion at her feet, with a group of figures representing industry, agriculture and the arts. Signed beneath the figures: D. Maclise R.A. des. Leonard C. Wyon fec.
The reverse bears the text "1862 Londini, honoris causa" within an oak wreath, with Wyon's name at bottom.
The proofs are affixed side-by-side on a sheet of green paper. Affixed to the verso of the sheet is a manuscript copy of the poem "Such is life" (beginning "Old time first covers our heads with hair ...").
- Subject Terms:
- Exhibitions -- England -- London.International Exhibition (1862 : London, England)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.