- Great Britain, ca. 1850.
- Physical Description:
- 1 wheel : folded and cut paper ; 22 cm in diameter opened, 9 cm in diameter closed
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBF1891 .Q6 1850 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Folded star-shaped paper wheel, cut by hand, which when opened reveals handwritten fortunes on each of the 16 points of the star (in pen and black ink). The circular center bears a small drawing of flowers. On green paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain.Fortune-telling -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
- The fortunes read: You will have 15 children to bless your old age
- Your face is your fortune
- Only seen to be admired
- Loving none by none beloved
- Dogs & cats will be your companions in your latter days
- You will marry in haste & repent at leisure
- An old man (or woman) will leave you a fortune of six pence & a brass farthing
- You engage yourself easily but you are inconstant
- Happiness awaits you
- You will not be loved, you are not amiable enough
- You will be happy in all your undertakings
- Your temper prevents your having many friends
- You will love & be loved
- You are too conceited to be much liked
- You need not despair, fortune is with you
- You have apparently many friends; in reality none.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.