Christie, James, 1773-1831 , A catalogue of a valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch pictures , 
- A catalogue of a valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch pictures : comprising many fine works of the celebrated Masters : also, several remarkably fine pictures, painted by the late ingenious Guy Head Dec. during his residence in Italy, from whom they were purchased at a liberal expence by a Gentleman of Taste and brought from his mansion in the county of Norfolk : among them will be found some fine specimens of the following esteemed Masters, viz. : Titian, Tintoretto, Spagnoletto, Lanfranco, Guercino, Caravaggio, L. Giordano, C. Marratti, C. Cignani, B. Lutti, G. Poussin, Rubens, Vandyck, Snydersm Teniers, Van Uden : the above assemblage will be found highly interesting to the loves of the fine arts, as comprising many admirable and faithful copies from chef d'oeuvres of the Great Italian and other Masters, which have since suffered irreparable injury during the late revolutions on the continent : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie, at the Great Room, Pall Mall, on Friday, March 1st, 1805 and following day, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
London : J. Smeeton, Printer, 148, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 10 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 4 no.2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "There are two versions of the catalogue. One version has the artist of lots 50 and 51 on the first day as R.B. Davis. This seems to have been an error on the part of the typographer, because the same lots appear with the same numbers also on the second day."--Getty provenance index databases.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-307
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 6899
Date of sale: March 1st-2nd, 1805.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 2 of 38 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823. British Art Center copy with artist of lots 50 and 51 on the first day as R.B. Davis.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Picture frames and framing -- Catalogs.Prints, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.