Bacon, Sylvia W., Mark Catesby's Natural History , 2017
- Mark Catesby's Natural History : an introduction / by Sylvia W. Bacon, E. Charles Nelson & David J. Elliott.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Natural history an introduction
- Charleston, South Carolina : Catesby Commemorative Trust, Inc., 2017.
- Physical Description:
- v, 29 pages : color illustrations, color map ; 23 x 29 cm
- Reference LibraryQH41.C33 B33 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This book is the perfect introduction to Mark Catesby--artist, scientist, and explorer. It provides an overview of Catesby's travels as he explored southeastern North America before the land was extensively populated by Europeans. The beautifully illustrated pages introduce Catesby's genius to anyone curious about the natural world. Catesby's original work was first published in 1731, a century before John James Audubon's Birds of America, was properly described by a knowledgeable contemporary as 'the most magnificent work I know of since the art of printing has been discover'd.'"--Catesby Commemorative Trust website.
- Subject Terms:
- Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749.Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749. Natural history of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands.Natural history -- Bahamas -- Pre-Linnean works.Natural history -- Southern States -- Pictorial works.Natural history -- Southern States -- Pre-Linnean works.