Christie, James, 1773-1831, A catalogue of a collection of Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch pictures , 
- A catalogue of a collection of Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch pictures : chiefly the property of a Gentleman, deceased, and brought from his family seat in Ireland : among which are a surprising chef d'oeuvre by L. Backhuysen : the Three Marys at the tomb, by S. Rosa, in their original state : Virgin, Child and Saints, Schidone : and others by P. Veronese, Tintoretto, Schidone, Lanfranco, Marieski, Carlo Marrati, S. Rosa, S. Bourdon, Vouet, Glauber, Borgognone, Rubens, Jordaens, Wouvermans, Metzu, Steenwick, Huchtenburgh, &c. &c. &c. : and the admired original picture of Falstaff in the Buck-Basket, by Hamilton : which will be sold by Mr. Christie, at the Great Room, Pall Mall, on Friday, June 14, 1805, and following day, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
London : J. Smeeton, Printer, 148, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 4 no.14 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "There are two versions of the catalogue with at least two discrepancies: Lot 3 on the second day in the CL catalogue contains two landscapes by Poussin, whereas in the other two copies it is a single landscape by Momper; and lot 66b in the CL catalogue is lacking in the others."--Getty provenance index databases.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-346
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 6976
Date of sale: June 14th-15th, 1805.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 14 of 38 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823. British Art Center copy includes a single landscape by Momper and contains lot 66b.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Decorative arts -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Sculpture, British -- Catalogs.Sculpture, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.