Wyon, Edward William, 1811?-1885, Tazza, with representation of Heracles and the Garden of the Hesperides, 1851
Tazza, with representation of Heracles and the Garden of the Hesperides.
- England, 1851.
- Physical Description:
- 1 tazza : cast iron ; diameter 33 cm (43 cm including handles), height 14 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsOctavo Rm Range 1Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for The Meidias Hydria (British Museum, 1772,0320.30.+)
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "The council, in continuation of their efforts to carry out the principle constantly advocated in their reports, of bringing high art to the aid of our manufactures, have commissioned the production of a tazza in fine cast iron. The form selected is one of the most graceful in the Etruscan room in the British Museum, and it is intended to ornament the interior of the bowl with figures in low relief, which have been very successfully modelled by Mr. E Wyon, after a design from a vase in Sir Wm. Hamilton's collection, representing Hercules and the Hesperides. A certain number of the tazzas will be given as prizes in the distribution of the current year."--The Art-Union of London, in The Builder, vol. IX, no. 413 (1851), page 7.
Twenty casts of the tazza were made to be given as prizes. See: Art Journal, 1851, p. 172.
The representation of Heracles and the Garden of the Hesperides is based on The Meidias Hydria (British Museum, 1772,0320.30.+).
Inscribed "Art Union of London, 1851" on underside of the stand.
Exhibited at the Great Exhibition (1851: London, England).
"Tazza: Hercules and the Hesperides." In Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951
Art Journal, 1851, page 172
Builder, vol. IX, no. 413 (1851), page 7
Roscoe, I. Biographical dictionary of sculptors in Britain, 1660-1851, p. 1432, no. 116
Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of all Nations, 1851: official descriptive and illustrated catalogue, v. 2, p. 846, no. 86
- Subject Terms:
- Garden of the Hesperides (Greek mythology)Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)Heracles (Greek mythological character)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.