Christie, James, 1773-1831, A catalogue of all the remaining works of that distinguished artist, Mortimer , 
- A catalogue of all the remaining works of that distinguished artist, Mortimer : which have been preserved by the Family ever since his decease, and have never yet been exposed to sale : they comprise his sketches and finished drawings, among them : a capital and noble finished pen drawing, St. Paul Preaching to the Druids, and the Death of Sir Philip Sidney : with the copper-plate of the former, by Haynes, and of the latter by Bartolozzi : the copper-plate of the Battle of Agincourt, by Burke : the copper-plates from the subjects of Shakspeare and others, by Mortimer : and etchings by Haynes : the original picture of Vortigern and Rowena, (never engraved) and The Agincourt, by Mortimer : and a charming Landscape by Jones : with figures representing the Death of Orpheus, by Mortimer : which (by order of the Widow,) will be sold by auction, by Mr. Christie, at his Great Room, Pall Mall, on Friday, March the 25th, 1808, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
London : J. Smeeton, Printer, 148, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages : 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 5 no.1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-562
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 7366
Date of sale: March 25th, 1808.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated with sale prices for some lots. Number 1 of 42 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Copperplates -- Catalogs.Drawing, British -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Mortimer, John Hamilton, 1740-1779 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.