Christie, James, 1773-1831, A catalogue of the genuine and very capital cabinet of choice Italian, French, Flemish and English pictures, original drawings, and articles of ancient sculpture, of the late Hon. C. F. Greville, F. R. and A. S. &c. &c. &c. Dec. , 
- A catalogue of the genuine and very capital cabinet of choice Italian, French, Flemish and English pictures, original drawings, and articles of ancient sculpture, of the late Hon. C. F. Greville, F. R. and A. S. &c. &c. &c. Dec. : which were collected by him with a design to illustrate the progress of painting, and its perfection by the Masters of the great Italian and other schools : in the former point of view they display a rare and highly curious series from Cimabue to Raphael : the specimens in which were selected from authentic situations, and many of them are cited in the biography of the authors of them : the perfection of the act is exemplified in various chef d'oeuves of the finest class and in the purest condition : of which the most distinguished are, by Correggio, a Head, a genuine fresco : Raphael, Venus, Vulcan and Cupid, a beautiful cabinet picture : S. Del Piombo, a portait : Baroccio, the Marriage of St. Catherine, a lovely gem : The Chess Players, Titian : Mars and Venus, P. Veronese : I. Carracci, a small Holy Family with Saints, an exquisite Bijou : N. Poussin, a small classical subject, equal to Domenichino : Ruben's, the Loves of the Centaurs : a perfect and unrivalled performance : two by Teniers : a brilliant landscape by Both : and The Celebrated Niobe by Wilson : also, a capital marble statue of Pudicitia, size of life : and a head from the Villa of Adrian : which (by order of the administrator, and permission of the lessor,) will be sold by auction, by Mr. Christie, on the premises, near the Church, at Paddington Green, on Saturday, March 31, 1810, punctually at one o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
London : G. Smeeton, 17, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 5 no.25 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-472
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 7743
Date of sale: March 31st, 1810.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated with sale prices for somel lots. Number 25 of 42 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Drawing, British -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Greville, Charles Francis, 1749-1809 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Sculpture, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.