Bagneris, Mia L., Colouring the Caribbean , 2018
Colouring the Caribbean : race and the art of Agostino Brunias / Mia L. Bagneris.
- Additional Title(s):
Coloring the Caribbean
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 256 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B84652 B34 2018 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Brunias, Agostino -- Criticism and interpretation.Imperialism in art.Race in art.West Indies -- In art.West Indies -- Race relations -- History.
- Brunias's tarred brush, or painting Indians black : race-ing the Carib divide
- Merry and contented slaves and other island myths : representing Africans and Afro-Creoles in the Anglo-American world
- Brown-skinned booty, or colonising Diana : mixed-race Venuses and Vixens as the fruits of imperial enterprise
- Can you find the white woman in this picture? Agostino Brunias's 'ladies' of ambiguous race
- Coda : pushing Brunias's buttons, or re-branding the plantocracy's painter ; the afterlife of Brunias's imagery.