Glass, Douglas, 1901-1978, Assembly of Henry Moore's Draped seated woman at the Susse Frères foundry in Paris, between 1958 and 1963
Assembly of Henry Moore's Draped seated woman at the Susse Frères foundry in Paris.
- between 1958 and 1963.
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph : gelatin silver print ; 29 x 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 47bYale Center for British Art, Gift of Jane Ritchie, transfer from the Yale University Art GalleryView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for a cast of Draped seated woman at the Yale University Art Gallery
- Seven casts of Moore's Draped seated woman were made at the Susse Frères foundry between 1958 and 1963. "Due to its size, the sculpture would have been cast in separate parts, which were then assembled by the foundry technicians. Some sections were bolted together inside the hollow interior while others were attached using Roman joints. This technique involved slotting two sections together, drilling holes and securing them with circular plugs." See: Alice Correia, 'Draped Seated Woman 1957-8, cast c.1958-63 by Henry Moore OM, CH', catalogue entry, November 2013, in Henry Moore: Sculptural Process and Public Identity, Tate Research Publication, 2015, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/henry-moore/henry-moore-om-ch-draped-seated-woman-r1172099, accessed 22 March 2018.
Stamped in ink on the verso: "Copyright Douglas Glass, 43, Black Lion Lane, W.6, Riverside 7522 ..."
The photograph depicts five technicians at work in the foundry, including one in the foreground attending to Draped seated woman. An unidentified sculpture stands at the back of the room.
- Subject Terms:
- Bronze founding.Moore, Henry, 1898-1986. Draped seated woman.Sculpture, British -- 20th century.Susse frères.
- Gelatin silver prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.