Paul, Celia, 1959-, Desdemona for Celia by Hilton , 
Desdemona for Celia by Hilton / Celia Paul & Hilton Als.
- Additional Title(s):
Celia Paul & Hilton Als
Celia Paul and Hilton Als
- London, UK : Victoria Miro, 
- Physical Description:
- 103 pages : illustrations, portraits (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.P2816 A12 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artists' book conceived by British painter Celia Paul and US writer and critic Hilton Als. Published to coincide with the exhibition Celia Paul, 16 September - 29 October 2016, at Victoria Miro Mayfair, London.
"Desdemona for Celia by Hilton, Gallery Met at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, a collaboration between Hilton Als and Celia Paul organized by Dodie Kazanjian on the occasion of the Metropolitan Opera's production of 'Otello', 22 September 2015 - 16 January 2016." -- Colophon.
Genre terms marked as local are from ARLIS/NA Artists' Books Thesaurus, accessed 11/22/2016. http://allisonjai.com/abt/vocab/index.php
"'Desdemona for Celia by Hilton' is a multifaceted collaboration between artist Celia Paul and Pulitzer Prize-nominated writer Hilton Als. A concise selection of drawings and paintings by Paul are illustrated. In addition, both Als and Paul have contributed previously unpublished texts and a personal selection of photographs to the publication, with is borne ot of a creative conversation inspired in part by Verdi's opera 'Otello". Invited to curate an exhibition at Gallery Met, New York relating to the Metropolitan Opera's recent production of 'Otello' (on view from September 2015 - January 2016) Als was immediately drawn to Paul's delicate and moving explorations of people and landscape. While Paul doesn't work explicitly from literary sources, the human desires and failings Desdemona's story expresses resonate in her haunting depictions of women and water. Titled 'Desdemona for Hilton by Celia' to celebrate the continuing conversation between Paul and Als, the show features new seascapes and portratis win which a sense of mortality coexists with the consoling beauty of nature and the flow of time that connects us all." Publisher
- Subject Terms:
- Als, Hilton.Artists' books -- England -- Specimens.Artists' books -- Specimens.Drawing, English -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Ocean waves in art.Painting, English -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Paul, Celia, 1959- -- Exhibitions.Portrait drawing -- England -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Portrait painting, English -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Othello.Women in art -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
- Artists' books.
Hollow back bindings.