Martin, John, 1789-1854, Illustrations of the Bible , MDCCCXXXIX 
Illustrations of the Bible / designed and engraved by John Martin.
- London : Charles Tilt, MDCCCXXXIX 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8026 .M37 1839+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Michael D. Coe, Yale MAH 1968View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Old Testament scenes, mainly from Genesis and Exodus. Each plate has the appropriate text on the facing leaf.
For description of earlier editions, see: Ray, Gordon Norton. The Illustrator and the Book in England from 1790 to 1914, entries 70 and 70a.
Wees, J.D. Darkness visible, page 40
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blue boards, with leather spine label.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible -- Illustrations.Bible. Old Testament -- Illustrations.
- Mezzotints -- 1839.
- The Creation
- The Fall of Man
- The Judgment of the Almighty
- The Expulsion From Paradise
- The Death of Abel
- The Deluge
- God's Covenant with Noah
- The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
- The Daughter of Pharaoh Finding Moses
- Moses and the Burning Bush
- The Seventh Plague
- The Destruction of Pharaoh's Host
- Moses Breaketh the Tables
- Fall of the Walls of Jericho
- Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still
- David Spareth Saul at Hachilah
- The Captive Israelites
- Belshazzar's Feast
- Fall of Babylon
- Fall of Nineveh.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.