Thomas Gainsborough , 
- Thomas Gainsborough : the modern landscape / edited by Christoph Martin Vogtherr and Katharina Hoins on behalf of the Hamburger Kunsthalle ; translation from the German Russell Stockman, Quechee/Vermont.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Modern landscape
Thomas Gainsborough (Exhibition catalog : Hamburger Kunsthalle). English.
- Hamburg : Hamburger Kunsthalle ; Munich : Hirmer, 
- Physical Description:
- 224 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.G16 A12 2018 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Hamburger Kunsthalle, March 2-May 27, 2018.
Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) is one of the great European painters of the 18th century. This volume is the first to present the English artist as a pivotal figure in the development of 'modern' landscape painting, a genre in which his painterly experiments were particularly innovative. Gainsborough himself favoured landscape painting, a field to which he made important contributions, over his well-known portraits. His works are fascinating for their painterly subtlety and technical variation. This volume brings together German and British traditions of viewing, interpreting, and studying Gainsborough. It looks at the connections to the Dutch landscapes, explains Gainsborough's unusual and experimental techniques from an art technological point of view, and situates his landscapes in the context of the social tensions of early industrialisation. Exhibition: Hamburger Kunsthalle, Germany (02.03. - 27.05.2018).
Includes bibliographical references (pages 216-221).
- Subject Terms:
- Gainsborough, Thomas, 1727-1788 -- Exhibitions.Landscape painting, English -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Landscapes in art -- Exhibitions.