Raffé, W. G. (Walter George), 1888-, Mock-up for a volume of woodcuts by W.G. Raffé in the series Modern woodcutters, [1921?]
- Mock-up for a volume of woodcuts by W.G. Raffé in the series Modern woodcutters.
- London, [1921?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves (1 blank) : 14 woodcuts ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1147.6 . R34 1921+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, John F. O''Brien FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Mock-up for an unpublished volume of Modern woodcutters, a series published by Herbet Furst from 1920 to 1921. After an intial blank leaf, the maquette includes a blocked out area for the preface, followed by fourteen leaves, each bearing a tipped-in woodcut by Raffé. Five of the woodcuts are signed by the artist in graphite; two are titled. Inserted in a fold inside the front wrapper is a manuscript list, in graphite, of the titles of the woodcuts, possibly in the hand of the artist.
The volume is sewn in a heavy brown paper wrapper. The front cover is lettered in graphite with the title, series, imprint, and price information, in the style of earlier published volumes. The Raffé volume was projected as item number 8 in the series. Only the first four titles in the series were published, all printed at the Morland Press: 1 Gwendolen Raverat; 2 Frank Brangwyn, R.A.; 3 T.Sturge Moore; and 4 Edward Wadsworth.
- 1. The Mill -- 2. Reflections -- 3. The highway -- 4. Storm -- 5. Winter moon -- 6. Volendam [? titled "A day of rest" on the print] -- 7. Modern [?] land -- 8. Wayfarer -- 9. End of winter -- 10. Quarry -- 11. Ebb tide -- 12. The harbour -- 13. The black [?] ship -- 14. Smuggler's [?] rest.
- Subject Terms:
- Furst, Herbert, 1874-1945.Raffé, W. G. (Walter George), 1888-Wood-engravers -- Great Britain.Wood-engraving -- Great Britain.
- Book designers' mock-ups (Publishing)
Dummies (printed matter)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.