IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
The city of London, in the time of the Saxons (about the year 1000), April 25th, 1817
The city of London, in the time of the Saxons (about the year 1000) [cartographic material] : compiled from the most authentic documents.
- London : Published ... by J. & E. Wallis, 42, Skinner Street, April 25th, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 40 x 53 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 15Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale not given
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 565
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored and mounted on linen. Bound with two additional aerial views: Banks, John Henry. A panoramic view of London. London: Edward Wallis,  -- London and Westminster in the reign of Queen Elizabeth anno dom. 1563. London: J. Wallis, 1789.
Map of London in the reign of the Saxon King Ethelred II, with the history of Roman and Saxon London written in a panel below the plan. The map shows the Roman wall still standing, but the street plan suggests that, compared to the Roman period, the built-up area occupied a much smaller part of the walled city and that the population was in rapid decline.
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- History -- To 1500 -- Maps.London (England) -- Maps.Romans -- England -- London -- Maps.
- Aerial views -- England -- London.
Maps -- England -- London.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.