Ward, Laurence (Archivist), The London County Council bomb damage maps, 1939-1945 , 2016
- The London County Council bomb damage maps, 1939-1945 / Laurence Ward.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bomb damage maps
- London : Thames & Hudson Ltd., 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (288 pages) : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 38 cm
- Reference LibraryG1819.L7 S7 W37 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 284-285) and index.
The attack on London between 1939 and 1945 is one of the most significant events in the citys modern history, the impact of which can still be seen in its urban and social landscapes. As a key record of the attack, the London County Council Bomb Damage Maps represent destruction on a huge scale, recording buildings and streets reduced to smoke and rubble. The full set of maps is made up of 110 hand-coloured 1:2500. Ordnance Survey base sheets originally published in 1916 but updated by the LCC to 1940. Because they use the 1916 map, they give us a glimpse of a lost London, before post-war redevelopment schemes began to shape the modern city. The colouring applied to the maps records a scale of damage to Londons built environment during the war the most detailed and complete survey of destruction caused by the aerial bombardment. A clear and fascinating introduction by expert Laurence Ward sets the maps in the full historical context of the events that gave rise to them, supported by archival photographs and tables of often grim statistics -- Source other than Library of Congress.
- The London County Council bomb damage maps -- The attack on London -- Architects and district surveyors -- Recording ruin -- Researching war damage at London Metropolitan Archives -- Incidents -- Statiscs -- The maps -- Photographing war damage in the city of London.
- Subject Terms:
- Buildings -- War damage -- England -- London -- Maps.Buildings -- War damage.Cartography.England -- London Metropolitan Area.England -- London.London Metropolitan Area (England) -- Maps.World War (1939-1945)World War, 1939-1945 -- Cartography -- Maps.World War, 1939-1945 -- England -- London -- Maps.