- [Great Britain?] : [publisher not identified], [approximately 1859]
- Physical Description:
- 1 card : color lithograph ; 18 x 12 cm and 1 envelope ; 13 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1846.V3 C88 1859 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Valentine. Cut and embossed lace paper with moveable flap. On front is a colored lithograph of a violet with a moveable tab that when pulled down the petals part to reveal a cherub which is surrounded with pierced lattice work. Accompanied with original embossed envelope addressed to Hon. Charles Alexander, Caledon House, Caledon. With cancelled Penny Red. Date of publication surmised from postal stamp on verso of envelope" Caledon, FE-12, 59.
Poem printed under lithograph: How sweet in balmy evening hours/To breath the fragrance of flowers/How cherished are these hours by me/When shared Sweet Valentine by thee.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexander, Charles -- Provenance.Botanical illustrations.Cherubs.Paper works -- Specimens.Valentines -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- [approximately 1859]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.