Linley, George, 1798-1865, A country girl's account of the Exhibition , [1851?]
A country girl's account of the Exhibition / written & composed by G. Linley.
- London : Campbell, Ransford & Co. [1851?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 vocal score (9 pages) : color illustrations ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT690.L5 C6 1851+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- Music (printed)
- For 4 voices and piano.
Publisher's no.: 105.
Front cover chromolithographed by Stannard & Dixon, 7 Poland Street.
Song refers to the Great Exhibition of 1851, London.
Dilke, page 74
First and only edition of a comic song published in the excitement surrounding the Great Exhibition. The story is told from the point of view of a young girl who travels to London with her family to see the Exhibition: "So, here we are at last, Papa, In far fam'd London town, But, bless me! there's not room to walk, Such jostling up and down; The very air is fill'd with fumes, From horrid men's cigars, By day, we scarce can see the sun, Nor trace, at night, the stars ..." During the visit, they encounter individuals of dubious character ("He's not a count but one Bill Smith, A member of the mob"); are relieved of their pocketbooks; and ultimately advise the audience to return to the quiet comforts of the country: "... the farther off you roam, The worse will be your fare, Now, we move along from that barb'rous throng, With no more disposition to see the exhibition."
- Subject Terms:
- Exhibitions -- Songs and music.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England) -- Songs and music.Great Exhibition.Songs, English.
- Scores -- England -- 1851.
Songs -- England -- 1851.
Chromolithographs -- 1851.
Songs and music.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.