Johnson, R. (Richard), 1733 or 1734-1793, The royal genealogical pastime of the sovereigns of England , Novr. 30th 1791
- The royal genealogical pastime of the sovereigns of England : from the dissolution of the Saxon heptarchy to the reign of His Present Majesty George the Third.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Royal genealogical pastime of the sovereigns of England : from Egbert to George the 3rd
- London : Published ... by E. Newbery, the corner of St. Pauls Church Yard, and John Wallis, no. 16 Ludgate Street, Novr. 30th 1791.
London : Sorrell, printer, Bartholomew-Close, Smithfield
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; sheet 41 x 73 cm, folded to 21 x 12 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1321 .J64 1791Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Author attribution from M.J.P Weedon's Richard Johnson and the successors to John Newbery, page 60, no. 79.
A hand-coloured plate, mounted on linen in 8 sections, is flanked on each side by printed biographical descriptions of the monarchs, mounted in four sections, with the caption "Rules for playing the game."
The engraving incorporates "Utility of the game" and "Rules for playing the game" in copperplate calligraphy, 52 numbered shields, and the portraits of 4 kings: Egbert, William the Conqueror, Harold II, and George III.
Issued in a marbled slipcase with an engraved title label.
Osborne catalogue, II:852-3
Osborne Collection. Ingenious contrivances, 51
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games, page 25
BAC: British Art Center copy in original slipcase, with additional bookseller's label: Bot. at S. Jesse's Toy Perfume and Fishing Tackle Warehouse at the Rocking Horse, 32, High Street, Exeter.
- Subject Terms:
- Board games -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Juvenile literature.Queens -- Great Britain -- Juvenile literature.S. Jesse's Toy Perfume and Fishing Tackle Warehouse -- Bookseller.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1791.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.