Catalogue of original caricatures by "Lib" : exhibited at 24, Minging Lane, December 1st to 18th, 1884 ; which will be sold by auction (without reserve) at the London Commercial Sale Rooms Friday, December 19th, at 3 o'clock precisely / by Mr. Herbert Walton.
- London : Published by E.I. Billing, 
- Physical Description:
-  pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5254 .W35 1884Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Mincing Lane, where the pre-sale exhibition was held, was then a center of the tea brokerage, although the brokers that form the subjects of Lib's satirical brush seem to be from every field of business. The press notices at the beginning of the work describe Prosperi as a "wicked caricaturist, who has followed the brokers into their own familiar haunts, and caught their airs and graces, their poses and peculiarities, with an alarming degree of faithfulness."
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary moiré blue cloth. Most subjects are identified in graphite beneath each image. Prices for each are also noted in graphite, most in the range of 25/- 35/- 40/- and 50/-, a few reaching four and five guineas; the last lot for a broker named R.W. Dalton making £10. May be the artist's copy.
Auction catalog in the form of 102 wood-engraved caricature portraits, six to a page. The subjects for most of the caricatures are identified in graphite in the Yale Center for British Art copy (along with prices fetched).
- Subject Terms:
- Auctions -- England -- London.Brokers -- England -- London.Caricature -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Prosperi, Liberio.
- Auction catalogs.
Wood engravings -- 1884.
YCBA Collections Search
Walton, Herbert, active 1884, Catalogue of original caricatures by "Lib" , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.