Wheeling : a new and exciting game for cyclists.
- Additional Title(s):
Title on outside of game board: Wheeling, a game for cyclists
- London : J. Jaques & Son, [1899?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (1 game board, 1 die, 1 cup, 4 playing pieces, 1 sheet of instructions) : illustrations ; game board 37 x 74 cm, folded to 37 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199.G7 W44 1899 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Includes a game board (with depictions of cyclists and related people and objects), a box for accessories, and a sheet of printed instructions. Accessories are a die, cup, small cards, and 4 tin cyclist playing pieces.
The game shows many of the adventures and mishaps that cyclists could encounter.
Date of publication inferred from an advertisement in the Oxford Times for January 13th, 1900. The game was more than likely produced for the Christmas and New Year period, 1899-1900.
Title from printed label on box for game accessories.
Collector's guide to games and puzzles. London : Grange Books, 1997, page 42
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: includes only three of the tin cyclists. Games accessories are in original illustrated box.
- Subject Terms:
- Cycling -- Great Britain.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Chromolithographs -- 1899.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.