Gayford, Martin, 1952-, Modernists & mavericks , 2018
- Modernists & mavericks : Bacon, Freud, Hockney and the London painters / Martin Gayford.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Modernists and mavericks
- London : Thames & Hudson, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 352 pages : illustrations (some color) ; cm
- Reference LibraryND470 .G39 2018 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 340-345) and index.
The development of painting in London from the Second World War to the 1970s has never before been told before as a single narrative. R. B. Kitaj's proposal, made in 1976, that there was a 'substantial School of London' was essentially correct but it caused confusion because it implied that there was a movement or stylistic group at work, when in reality no one style could cover the likes of Francis Bacon and also Bridget Riley.
- Subject Terms:
- Bacon, Francis, 1909-1992.Freud, Lucian, 1922-2011.Hockney, David, 1937-Kunstbetrieb.London (England) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.London.Painting, English -- 20th century -- England -- London.