The English pilot : part V, describing the sea-coasts, capes, head-lands, bays, roads, harbours, rivers, ports : with the exact appearances and representations of the most principal marks, lands, &c. : together with the soundings, sands, shoals, rocks, and dangers, on the west-coat [sic] of Africa : from the Straits of Gibraltar to the Cape of Good Hope ...
- The third edition, with new additions
- London : Printed for William Mount and Thomas Page, on Tower-Hill, MDCCXXXIX 
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (, 42 pages,  leaves of plates (some folded)) : illustrations, maps ; 46 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 25Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- The English pilot was first initiated by John Seller. Part V, by Jeremiah Seller and Charles Price, was first issued in 1701. See Tooley.
Depths shown by soundings. Relief shown pictorially in some maps.
Adams, T.R. English maritime books printed before 1801, 995
Tooley, R.V. Maps and map-makers, page 61
BAC Folio A 2023 25: Bound in later calf. The reverse of the plate depicting Arguin bears a chart drawn in black ink titled: "The projection of the Mercator's chart from the Latde. of 20°0ʹ00 to the Latde. of 50°0ʹ00 N. containing 15° of Wt. Longde. and 10° of Et. Longitude, 1733." The reverse of this sheet bears various calculations and the signature of Geo. Carnegie.
- Subject Terms:
- Carnegie, George -- Autograph.Coasts -- Africa -- Atlantic Coast.Navigations -- Africa -- Atlantic Coast.
- Nautical charts.
- Charts:  Chart of the Channell / Francis Lamp sculp.
-  A chart of the sea coast from England to the Streights / H . Moll f.
-  The Western Ocean
-  A chart of the coast of Barbary, from C. Spartell to C. Cantin
-  A chart of the coast of Barbary from Cape Geer to Cape Bajadore. A chart of the coast of Barbary from C. Bajadore to the Golfe of St. Anne
-  A chart of the coast of Barbaria, with the Western, Canaria, Cape de Verd Isles
-  A new chart of the sea coast of Arguin from the Gulf of St. Anna to the sand banck of Tindel
-  A chart of the coast of Guinea from Cape Verd to Cape Bona Esperança
-  An exact map of the River Sierra-Leone and the coast from thence to Sherbro / Gray sculp.
-  A chart of the shoulds & rivers of Gambia
-  A large chart of the north coast of Guinea, from Cape de Verd to Sherbro
-  A large chart of the coast of Guinea, from Sherbro to Cape Lopas
-  A chart of the Grain Ivory & Quaqua coasts in Guinea, from Cape St. Anne to Teen Pequene / F. Lamb sculp.
-  A chart of the Gold Coast in Guinea, from the River St. John to the River Volta / F. Lamp sculp.
-  A chart of the Bight of Binnin, from Ningo Grande to R. Andony / F. Lamp sculp.
-  A chart of the coast of Biafra, from Foche Island to Corisco Island, together with the islands of Fernando Poo & Princes / F. Lamb sculp.
-  A chart of the coasts of Gabon Loango and Congo, from C. St. Iohn to the River Ambris
-  A chart of the coast of Angola from the R. Ambris to Mount Negro / F. Lamb sculp.
-  A chart of the coasts of Cimbebas and Caffaria from Mt. Negro to the C. of Good Hope.