Mayall, J. E. (John Jabez Edwin), 1813-1901, The Royal album, ca. 1860-1861
The Royal album.
- London, ca. 1860-1861.
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (20 photographs) ; 16 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR680.M3 R6 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "In May 1860 J.E. Mayall took carte portraits of Queen Victoria, the Prince Consort and their children. These were published three months later in the Royal Album, which set the fashion for collecting cartes of celebrities as well as one's friends, and putting them in albums."--Gernsheim, H. A concise history of photography.
Title from front cover.
The cartes-de-visite are placed in 20 card-mount leaves, with windows for display on the recto only, each leaf with a printed gilt surround to the aperture, and beneath a printed 'imprint': "F.R.G. BREVETE S.G.D.G.". The brown morocco album is stamped in blind, with gilt-stamped royal arms and title (The Royal Album) at center of the front cover.
Gernsheim, H. History of photography, page 295
Gernsheim, H. Concise history of photography, page 55
Encyclopedia of nineteenth-century photography, page 908
Album containing 20 carte-de-visite portraits of members of the British royal family taken by photographer John Jabez Edwin Mayall and others in the early 1860s. Includes Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Princess Beatrice, the Prince of Wales, Princess Alice, Prince Frederick William of Prussia, the Princess of Prussia, Princess Helena, Princess Louisa, Prince Leopold, the Duchess and Duke of Cambridge, and Princess Mary of Cambridge. The cartes were the first set of photographs of the Royal Family to be public available.
- Subject Terms:
- Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861 -- Portraits.Alexandra, Queen, consort of Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1844-1925 -- Portraits.Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, 1844-1900 -- Portraits.Alice, Grand Duchess, consort of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt, 1843-1878 -- Portraits.Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942 -- Portraits.Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg, 1857-1944 -- Portraits.Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Helena Augusta Victoria, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, 1846-1923 -- Portraits.Leopold, Prince, Duke of Albany, 1853-1884 -- Portraits.Louise, Princess, Duchess of Argyll, 1848-1939 -- Portraits.Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, 1840-1901 -- Portraits.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
-  Queen Victoria (John Jabez Edwin Mayall, 1860)
-  Prince Albert (Camille Silvy, 3 July 1861)
-  Queen Victoria and Prince Albert (Mayall, May 1860)
-  Queen Victoria & Princess Beatrice (Mayall )
-  Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (Mayall, 1860)
-  Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII with Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (Mayall, May 1860)
-  Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII (Mayall, ?1860)
-  Prince Alfred (Mayall)
-  Princess Helena & Princess Louisa (Mayall)
-  Princess Helena (Mayall, 1 July 1860)
-  Princess Louisa (Mayall)
-  Prince Arthur & Prince Leopold (Mayall)
-  Prince Arthur (Mayall)
-  Princess Beatrice (Mayall)
-  Victoria, Princess Frederick William of Prussia (L. Haase & Co., Berlin, 1860)
-  Prince Frederick William of Prussia (L. Haase & Co, Berlin, 1860)
-  Princess Alexandra, later Queen Alexandra (Georg Emil Hansen, Copenhagen, 1862?)
-  Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII (Camille Silvy, 20 June 1861)
-  Princess Alexandra (Emile Desmaisons, Paris)
-  Composite image of Queen Victoria, Albert and their children “A Nation Mourns the Loss” (published after the death of Albert on Dec 14th 1861, probably by Mayall).
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.