Christie, James, 1773-1831, A catalogue of the very choice collection of modern pictures, which have constituted the very distinguished and universally admired gallery of that accomplished and truly spirited patron of the arts, the Rt. Hon. Lord de Tabley, deceased, at no. 24, Hill Street, Berkely Square , 
- A catalogue of the very choice collection of modern pictures, which have constituted the very distinguished and universally admired gallery of that accomplished and truly spirited patron of the arts, the Rt. Hon. Lord de Tabley, deceased, at no. 24, Hill Street, Berkely Square : formed by his Lordship with the finest taste, and at the most liberal expense, with a view to displaying the perfection of the fine arts in this country, and the genius and talent of British artists : they comprise favourite and very popular specimens of Wilson, Gainsborough, Loutherbourg, Sir J. Reynolds, Romney, Hoppner, Northcote, Fuseli, West, Opie, Shee, Owen, Thomson, Howard, Hilton, Ward, Turner, Collins, Callcott, Landseer, Pether, Barker, Atkinson, Devis, Leslie and Russell : also, the state chair of Sir Joshua Reynolds's studio, which was bequeathed by him to Barry : a fine marble bust of the late president West, by Behnes : and a cast from the hand of the president West, by Behnes : which (by order of the executors) will be sold by auction, by Mr. Christie, on the premises, no. 24, Hill Street, Berkeley Square, on Saturday, July 7, 1827, precisely at one o'clock : may be publicly viewed two days preceding : catalogues may be had (at one shilling each) on the premises, and at Mr. Christie's, King Street, St. James's Square.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 9,  pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 7 no.9 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-3008
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 11507
Date of auction: July 7, 1827.
Place of auction: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in graphite with sale price for lot 41 only. Number 9 of 42 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1819.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.De Tabley, John Fleming Leicester, Baron, 1762-1827 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.De Tabley, John Fleming Leicester, Baron, 1762-1827.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Sculpture, British -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.