Christie, James, 1773-1831, A catalogue of the capital and very valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish, Dutch, and English pictures, and a few casts from the antique, of the late Right Hon. Lord Gwydir, deceased , 
- A catalogue of the capital and very valuable collection of Italian, French, Flemish, Dutch, and English pictures, and a few casts from the antique, of the late Right Hon. Lord Gwydir, deceased : brought from the family seat, Grimsthorpe Castle, in Lincolnshire, and from the London mansion at Whitehall : they comprise a charming marine landscape, with the Rape of Europa by Claude : a noble landscape by Both, with figures by Poelemborg : a cabinet chef-d'oeuvre by P. Potter : five by Teniers : three capital landscapes with figures by Cuyp : three very spirited and fine by Wouvermans : two by Berghem : a capital ditto, by Is. Ostade : two charming sea pieces by W. V. Velde : a grand historical composition of Perseus changing Phineus and his armed attendants into stone, by N. Poussin : a Holy Family by C. Dolce, in his sweetest manner : a grand interior by P. Panini : a large landscape and figures, one of the most brilliant chef-d'oeuvres of Gainsborough : and the celebrated Holy Family by Sir Joshua Reynolds, known by the engraving made from it by the late Mr. Sharpe : and superior productions of the following Masters : G. Romano, Bassano, Parmegiano, L. Carracci, Biscaino, Murillo, G. Poussin, Rubens, V. Der Neer, Rembrandt, Duart, Metzu, Bega, Schalken, Ruysdael, Wynants, Moucheron, Verboom, Swaneveldt, Ferg, Steenwyck, Fytm, Borgognone, Canaletti : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie at his Great Room on Friday, May the 8th, 1829, and following day, at one o'clock : may be viewed two days preceding, and catalogues had (at one shilling each) at Mr. Christie's office, King Street, St. James's Square.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 15,  pages ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 7 no.12 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .F67 1829Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-3276
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 12041
Date of sale: May 8-9, 1829.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is annotated in pen and ink with sale prices and buyers for some lots. Number 12 of 42 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1819.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is annotated in ink with sale prices for all lots. Bound in half calf with marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Joseph Neeld. Bound with: Catalogue of the collection of pictures of that eminent connoisseur and collector the late Richard Mortimer, Esq. ... [London], 
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- England -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.England.Gwydir, Peter Burrell, Baron, 1754-1820Gwydir, Peter Burrell, Baron, 1754-1820 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Neeld, Joseph -- Bookplate.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Painting, European.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.