Fashioned from nature , 2018
Fashioned from nature / edited by Edwina Ehrman.
- South Kensington, London : V&A Publishing, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 192 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps ; 33 cm
- Reference LibraryTT507 .F374 2018 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Published to accompany the exhibition 'Fashioned from Nature' at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, from 21 April 2018 to 27 January 2019"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 180-187) and index.
"Fashion has always been inspired by the natural world - from floral patterns and embroidery motifs to fine linens and sumptuous silks. But our insatiable demand for raw materials comes at considerable environmental cost, contributing to devastating pollution, energy consumption and the exploitation of flora and fauna. Spanning 400 years, this book explores the history of this complex relationship and our dependence on nature to clothe ourselves. It looks at how today's designers are working to create a more sustainable fashion industry, and pusts their efforts in the context of the past"--Back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Creation (Literary, artistic, etc.)Fashion -- Environmental aspects.Fashion -- History -- Exhibitions.Nature (Aesthetics) -- Exhibitions.Sustainability.Textile industry -- Environmental aspects.
- Foreword / Emma Watson
- Sponsor's foreword / Marie-Emmanuelle Belzung
- Director's foreword / Tristram Hunt
- Introduction / Edwina Ehrman
- Chapter 1: 1600-1800 / Edwina Ehrman ; From cocoon to court: an Eighteenth-century Mantua / Lesley Ellis Miller ; Drawn from nature: 1600-1800 / Clare Browne
- Chapter 2: 1800-1900 / Edwina Ehrman ; Walking in flora and fauna: a Nineteenth-century dress and hat / Veronica Isaac ; Engaging with nature: The fern craze / Edwina Ehrman
- Chapter 3: 1900-1990 / Edwina Ehrman ; Cellulose in couture: An evening coat / Sarah Glenn ; Imagining nature: 1952-2010 / Oriole Cullen
- Chapter 4: 1990-present / Dilys Williams ; Traceability and responsibility: A Twenty-first century t-shirt / Connie Karol Burks.