Wallis's elegant and instructive game exhibiting the wonders of nature in each quarter of the world, 1st Novr. 1818
- Wallis's elegant and instructive game exhibiting the wonders of nature in each quarter of the world.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Wallis's game, Wonders of nature
- London : E. Wallis, 1st Novr. 1818.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; 48 x 64 cm, folded to 24 x 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .W35 1818Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Edward Wallis's game board consists of twenty-six vignettes depicting different natural sites around the world. Geological "wonders of nature," such as 'Fingal's Cave on the Island of Staffa' and dramatic natural disasters, like the Lisbon earthquake of 1755 that resulted in 70,000 deaths, are described in the accompanying booklet, along with any forfeits the player might have to pay upon landing on certain spaces. Arriving at 'Ice Mountains of the North Pole', for example, meant the player lost his turns three times: "whoever is so daring as to go venture amidst these awful scenes, must be frozen in, while the other players spin thrice round."
A board game.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 17, 172-175
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian days, page 38
Selected exhibitions: "Instruction and Delight: Children's Games from the Ellen and Arthur Liman Collection" (Yale Center for British Art, 17 January-23 May, 2019).
BAC: British Art Center copy includes original slipcase and instruction booklet.
- Subject Terms:
- Educational games -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Nature.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1818.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.