Why, what, and because, or, The road to the temple of knowledge / T.H. Jones, del. et litho.
- Additional Title(s):
Why, what, and because
Road to the temple of knowledge
Sallis's new tee-to-tum game, Why? what? & because
- Third edition.
- London : W. Sallis, [approximately 1855]
[London] : Passmore, printer, 45 Borough Road
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored lithograph ; 33 x 44 cm folded to 33 x 22 cm. and 8 pages ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .W49 1855+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title and imprint from playing board.
Printer information from foot of front cover.
Undated. Date from Linda Hannas's The English jigsaw puzzle 1760 to 1890 p. 151. Hannas describes a dissected version of this table game.
With publisher's advertisements on back cover.
"London : William Sallis, 5, Cross Key Square, Little Britain."--Foot of back cover.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 52-53
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian days, pages 41-42
Hannas, Linda. The English jigsaw puzzle, 1760-1890, page 151
BAC: British Art Center copy includes booklet with game rules.
Game fills oval snail-trail track with scenes showing scientific phenomena and inventions: lightening, thunder, hot-air balloon, thermometer, steam, snow, swimming, telescope, diving bell, ending with the crowning of two successful pupils in the Temple of Knowledge.
- Subject Terms:
- Educational games.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1855.
YCBA Collections Search
Why, what, and because, or, The road to the temple of knowledge / T.H. Jones, del. et litho, [approximately 1855]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.