Game of the Great Exhibition of 1851 / W.P. Metchim, lith., 1 Adam St., Strand.
- Additional Title(s):
Comic game of the Great Exhibition of 1851.
- London : Published by William Spooner, 379 Strand, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored lithograph ; sheet 50 x 62 cm, folded to 17 x 21 cm, in covers 18 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .G36 1851Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .G36 1851 FlatYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title and imprint from playing sheet.
Mounted on linen, folded into nine sections and pasted into cloth-bound covers.
A lithographed pictorial paper label showing visitors from all over the world is pasted on the front cover; letterpress rules are pasted on the verso of the front cover.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 104-107
Shefrin, Jill. Ingenious contrivances, 4
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original cloth-covered folder, with pictorial label on front cover. With printed “prize” tickets and markers, in wood box.
"This game illustrated objects included in or views of the exhibition at the Crystal Palace ... The game was played with a teetotum with the goal of landing on #76: The External View of the Crystal Palace of the Exhibition ..."--Liman. The game board includes caricatured figures representing countries from around the world, a number of which are portrayed with racial stereotypes.
- Subject Terms:
- Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition, 1851, London, England)Exhibitions -- England -- London.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Racism -- Great Britain.Xenophobia -- Great Britain.
- Ethnic stereotypes.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1851.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.