The combat with the giant : a new invented and entertaining game.
- London : Published ... by Champante & Whitrow, Jewry Street, Aldgate, September 1st, 1796.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; 40 x 40 cm, folded to 13 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .C66 1796Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from game board.
"Accompanied with a box containing a teetotum and counters."--Engraved title label on slipcase.
"This game is almost unique among the very old ones in that it is not a race game, but instead is played with an ordinary pack of 52 playing cards from which the tens have been removed, making 48."--Whitehouse.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, page 88
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian day, pages 58-62.
Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957
BAC: British Art Center copy includes publisher's original slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1796.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.