The royal pastime of cupid, or, Entertaining game of the snake.
- Additional Title(s):
Royal pastime of cupid
Entertaining game of the snake
- London : Published ... by Laurie & Whittle, no. 53, Fleet Street, 12th May 1794.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; sheet 38 x 46 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2021 1eYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from game board.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 14, 66
Selected exhibitions: "Instruction and Delight: Children's Games from the Ellen and Arthur Liman Collection" (Yale Center for British Art, 17 January-23 May, 2019).
"Referred to as a small/shell track format often compared to the Game of the goose, the ancient Egyptian game of the Snake may also have inspired this spiral design."--Liman.
- Subject Terms:
- Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1794.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
The royal pastime of cupid, or, Entertaining game of the snake, 12th May 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.