The circle of knowledge : a new game of the wonders of nature, science, & art.
- London : Pubd. by J. Passmore, 18 Fleet Lane, Farringdon St., [ca. 1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored aquatint ; 65 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .C57 1850Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 178-179
Selected exhibitions: "Instruction and Delight: Children's Games from the Ellen and Arthur Liman Collection" (Yale Center for British Art, 17 January-23 May, 2019).
The rings of the game are named for the continents, the season, the four elements (air, fire, earth, water), and for chemistry, optics, astronomy, and electricity. A player would need to answer questions that correspond to the numbered spaces in order to end up in the 'Circle of Knowledge' in the center.
- Subject Terms:
- Educational games.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.