The British tourist : a new game.
- Additional Title(s):
Slipcase title: Wallis's New game of the tourist, exhibiting 65 select views in the British Empire
New game of the tourist, exhibiting 65 select views in the British Empire
- London : Published by E. Wallis, 42 Skinner Street, [1830s?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; 50 x 63 cm, folded to 22 x 13 cm, in slipcase 22 x 14 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .H75 1830Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title and imprint from game board.
Date based on style of printing and illustration.
Game consists of a track of 65 hand-colored, illustrated panels.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 176-177
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian days, page 43
Selected exhibitions: "Instruction and Delight: Children's Games from the Ellen and Arthur Liman Collection" (Yale Center for British Art, 17 January-23 May, 2019).
BAC: British Art Center copy includes instruction booklet and slipcase.
Despite the fact that the slipcase indicates that the game includes "65 Select Views in the British Empire"--implying a broader world-view--it actually focuses on castles, country houses, and other tourist sites solely in Britain. Players would move around the board, learning facts of the place illustrated in the square where they landed. The winner would be the first to arrive at 'His Majesty's Cottage, Windsor' (65), the residence of George IV.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Description and travel.Historic buildings -- Great Britain.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Tourism -- Great Britain.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.