The magic ring : a new game : replete with humour and pleasant variety.
- [London] : Published ... by Champante and Whitrow, Jewry Street, Aldgate, November 1st, 1796.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored engraving ; sheet 42 x 57 cm, folded to 19 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .M34 1796Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from game sheet.
The rules are printed in two columns on either side of the snail-shell track.
Players move forwards and backwards, encountering "Hostile" or "Benevolent" fairies, a magician, fortune tellers, and a "Syren" among others.
Liman, E. Georgian and Victorian board games, pages 64-65
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian days, page 58
Shefrin, Jill. Ingenious contrivances, 27
BAC: British Art Center copy includes original slipcase, with printed title label.
- Subject Terms:
- Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1796.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.