Blackburn, Jemima, 1823-1909, Scenes of animal life & character from nature & recollection , [1858?]
- Scenes of animal life & character from nature & recollection / by J.B.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Scenes of animal life and character from nature and recollection
- London : Griffith and Farran, successors to Newbery and Harris, [1858?]
- Physical Description:
- , 19 leaves : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQL46 .B58 1858+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The scenes were drawn from nature in the zoos of London, Edinburgh, and Switzerland, in a riding school outside Edinburgh, at a Scottish hunt and in the Highlands, and in a home, where the dog about to be portrayed is hiding his face under an armchair (titled Hopeless Subject). They are dated variously from 1841 to 1858.
"It is primarily a children's picture book, originally appearing in two formats, either in black and white, or in colour. In it she collates a number of sketches made over the previous ten years, entitling them humorously in groups, 'The St. Bernard dog - romance and reality,' 'Fox hunting - in sport and earnest,' etc. They contain several examples of her enchanting sense of humour."--Fairley.
By Jemima Blackburn.
"Price half-a-crown plain, 3/6 coloured."--Cover.
Blackburn, J. Jemima : paintings and memoirs of a Victorian lady / edited with an introduction by Robert Fairley, page 52
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's illustrated yellow boards. Illustrations are uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works.Animals in art -- Juvenile literature.Women in natural history.Zoo animals -- Juvenile literature.Zoological illustration -- Juvenile literature.
- Children's books -- England -- 1858.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.