R. H. Smith Manufacturing Company, "The Easy" sign marker , [not before 1898]
"The Easy" sign marker : with rule and spacer for printing straight and curved lines.
- [Springfield, Massachusetts] : [R.H. Smith Manufacturing Company], [not before 1898]
- Physical Description:
- 1 set (80 character pieces, rule, spacer, 2 ink pads) ; in wood case 25 x 67 x 6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCabinet IYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for W.B. Fordham & Sons catalog of "The Easy" sign marker sets
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from printed label on the inside of the box top.
"The Easy" sign marker sets were marketed by companies in the United States (S.M. Spencer Mfg. Co., New York Stencil Works, J.I. Marcher) and Great Britain (W.B. Fordham & Sons). The manufacturer, R.H. Smith Manufacturing Company, was based in Springfield, Massachusetts.
"Patented April 17, 1894. April 22, 1897. March 8, 1898. Patented in England, April, 1894. No 8,000. R.H. Smith Mfg. Co., Patentees. Made in U.S.A."--Printed label.
Accompanied by a W.B. Fordham & Sons catalog of "The Easy" sign marker sets. See link herewith.
Accompanied by a postcard stamped with the words "Vote for DUKE" made from characters in the present set.
The rubber stamps in this set correspond to set no. 3, "Elder," with a full set of capitals, small letters, numbers, points, and ornaments. See the catalog issued by W.B. Fordham & Sons Ltd. (London), pages  and . In the Yale Center for British Art copy of this catalog, this set is annotated with a price of "22/6."
- Subject Terms:
- Marking devices -- Specimens.Rubber stamp printing.Signs and signboards.
- Rubber stamps.
Type (composition equipment)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.