The unexpected alterations : comical altering play = Die Unerwarteten Veränderungen : Komisches Verwandlungsspiel = Les changements inattendus : jeu comique de métamorphoses.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Nuremberg?] : G.W. Faber, [ca. 1845?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (40 pieces) : hand-colored lithographs, mounted on wood ; in box 24 x 24 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .F33 1845 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original wooden box.
Metamorphic puzzle game consisting of five pairs of costumed figures (hand-colored lithographs, mounted on wood). Each individual figure is dissected into four triangular wooden pieces. Issued in a wooden box. The hand-colored decorative lid depicts a family playing the game, within a decorative border of scenes derived from the playing pieces.
The paired figures include: 1) A young girl in pristine pink, blue, and white clothes being confronted by a soot-covered chimney sweep -- 2) A pair of animals dressed in military uniform, the cat playing a flute, the bear playing a side drum -- 3) A prince and princess -- 4) A pair of figures in medieval/renaissance costumes -- 5) An English couple, the man in fox hunting attire, the woman in green riding costume.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Metamorphic pictures.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1845.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.