Sitwell, William, 1860-1932, William Henry Sitwell photograph album of travels in India, 1907-1908
William Henry Sitwell photograph album of travels in India.
- India, 1907-1908.
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (138 photographs) : gelatin silver prints ; album 30 x 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 36Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gregory F.W. Todd, Yale BA 1976, in memory of Joan Castle SitwellView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- At the time the present album was compiled, William Henry Sitwell (1860-1932) was commander of the 2nd East Lancashire Regiment (1906-1908). The regiment was dispatched to India from 1897 to 1911. Sitwell's long military career included activity in Afghanistan (1880); Egypt (1897-1899); South Africa (1900-1902); India (1906-1914); and the Battle of Gallipoli (1915). Sitwell's first wife Constance Selina (née Meade) died in 1908. Sitwell, born at Benares, was educated at Harrow and R.M.C. Sandhurst. The Sitwell family were owners of Barmoor Castle, Northumberland.
Bound in contemporary quarter calf and blue cloth.
Photograph album documenting the travels of William Henry Sitwell in India, from 1907 to 1908. The majority of photographs appear to have been taken by a member of Sitwell's traveling party, if not Sitwell himself. Many of these are 13 x 10 cm (or smaller), with three or four pasted to a page. Between pages 23 and 57 are a number of larger photographs (22 x 28 cm, or smaller), at least some of which were commercially produced. The name of Bourne & Shepherd, a prominent Indian photographic studio, appears on some. Most photographs are captioned in black ink; some are dated. Though fellow soldiers or camps are depicted in some of the photographs, most appear to document Sitwell's tourist activity. Especially noteworthy are a series of photographs of the Ellora caves. A handful of photographs depict Sitwell, and a similar number his wife, Constance Selina (C.S.S.); in some she is carried in an uncovered sedan chair. Though the photographs primarily depict scenery and architecture, a few focus on the local populations, including a "hill girl" on page 19 and a "Beluch chief" on page 49. Also included are a handful of postcars of Indian scenery.
Accompanied by three items, loosely inserted:  a telegram, dated 24 August 1897, to Sitwell at Barmoor, concerning his appointment to the "Egyptian Army";  an admission ticket, addressed to "Lt. Colonel Sitwell" for the H.M.S. Enchantress at the Coronation Naval Review, Saturday 16th August, 1902, at Portsmouth (marking the coronation of Edward VII);  an announcement for an equestrian gymkhana to be held on June 4, 1902 (?), probably during Sitwell's service in South Africa; Lieut.-Col. Sitwell is listed as a steward for the proceedings.
- Subject Terms:
- Ahmadnagar (India)Aurangābād (India)British -- India.Cave architecture -- India -- Ellora Caves.Cave temples -- India -- Ellora Caves.Daulatabad (India)Ellora Caves (India)Horse sports.India -- Antiquities.India -- Description and travel.Indus River.Kailasanatha Temple (Ellora Caves, India)Karachi (Pakistan)Mumbai (India)Pune (India)Sitwell, Constance, -1908.Sitwell, William, 1860-1932.
Gelatin silver prints.
- Page 1. Bombay (Mumbai) and Poona (Pune), with photographs of Government House and Connaught Hotel
- 2. Camp at Yeola
- 3. Wanowri (Wanwadi)
- 4. Parbati
- 5. Singurh (Sinhagad)
- 6. Katraj
- 7-8. Karli Caves
- 9. Poona (with photo of Constance on horseback)
- 10. Moharram ("Tazia's being thrown over the bridge, & crowd of spectators")
- 11. Ahmednagar Fort
- 12. M.I. Dinner, Poona, 1907
- 13., "Our bungalow (G.O.C.'s) Ahmednagar, March 1907"
- 14. Buffaloes
- 15. Ahmednagar Fort, with "Chand Bibi's Palace in the Fort"
- 16. Mussoorie, Rajpur, Hotel Cecil, Simla
- 17. Simla
- 18. Constance on the way to Fargu, Park-goats on Tibet Road
- 19. "Snows from Narkhanda Dak Bungalow," "A hill girl"
- 20. The road to Bhagi, Mountains from Narkhanda
- 21. View near Narkunda, 2408
- 22. Climbing up and over Hattu (Hatu Peak), with Constance in uncovered sedan chair
- 23. On the path to Bhagi, from Narkhanda
- 24. "Narkunda & snowy range, 2410"
- 25. "Between Phagoo & Theôg, 2397"
- 26. Aurangabad; "Women of Lombardi (a criminal tribe) on trek"
- 27. Pan Chakki
- 28. Mausoleum of Rabia Durrani; Nizam's bungalow, Ellora
- 29. Ellora caves
- 30. Daulatabad Fort, Ellora caves
- 31. Mosque at Raza, Aurangabad tomb
- 32. Buddha, Ellora
- 33. Caves, Ellora
- 34. The Indra Sabha, Ellora
- 35. In the Indra Sabha
- 36. Untitled Ellora cave (?)
- 37. Cave in rock-face of court of the Kailasa
- 38. The Indra Sabha
- 39. Tagnali Sabha
- 40. Untitled view
- 41. Untitled cave view
- 42. The Kailasa, within the court
- 43. Kailasa, chief door
- 44. One of Kailas shrines
- 45. Daulatabad (graphite drawing)
- 46. Ahmednagar Fort
- 47. Bombay harbor; the Indus
- 48. The Indus; Bolan Pass
- 49. Bolan Pass; Beluch chief at a station near Quetta
- 50. Main guard, Ahmednagar
- 51. A minaret, Rabia Durrani's mausoleum, Aurangabad
- 52. The Kailasa, Ellora
- 53. Roof of the Kailasa, Ellora
- 54. View from halfway down Daulatabad fortress
- 55. blank
- 56. Bombay, harbor view
- 57. Bombay, harbor view
- 58. Government House, Karachi
- 59. Views of the camp, 59th Regiment, Karachi
- 60. Sitwell on horseback ("Tim"); interior tent views
- 61. Imperial Proclamation Day, Karachi (Jan. 1, 1908); interior tent view
- 62. Group portrait of officers in uniform, including Sitwell.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.