A catalogue of a very valuable and highly interesting collection of British portraits, from an early period : comprising specimens of nearly all the eminent artist who have flourished since that time, embracing most of the characters who have adorned the pages of history : .... the whole of which have been selected by the present proprietor with great judgement ... during nearly thirty years : which will be sold by auction, by Messrs. Oxenham & Son, at ... no. 353, Oxford Street, near the Pantheon, on ... 31st ... May, 1832, and following day.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of titile: Original British Portraits
- [London] : [Oxenham & Son], 
- Physical Description:
- 20 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 8 no.18 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Artists included are Kneller, Gainsborough, Zoffany, Reynolds, Hogarth, Lely, Holbein, Joseph Wright of Derby, Mary Beale, Zoust, Bronzino, and Tintoret, among others.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-3928
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 13003
Date of sale: May 31-June 1, 1832.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink with sale prices and buyers' names for some lots. List of paintings bought by Lord Northwick, totalling £152/5/6, written in pen and ink, tipped in. Frontispiece is an etching of "The Royal Cockpit in the reign of Charles the First"; after Vandyke. On recto of frontispiece is a handwritten bill from W. Watson Taylors, Gratfon Street, dated May 30th, 1832, for items purchase. Items include books, china, knee buckles, umbrella hand and looking glass totalling £145/0/6. An additional fee of £7/5/0/ is added on. Number 18 of 44 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Portraits, British -- Private collections -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
Etchings -- 1832.
YCBA Collections Search
Oxenham & Son, A catalogue of a very valuable and highly interesting collection of British portraits, from an early period , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.