Truth & beauty : the Pre-Raphaelites and the old masters / Melissa E. Buron ; with Susanna Avery-Quash [and 15 others].
- Additional Title(s):
Truth and beauty
Truth and beauty (Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco)
- San Francisco : Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco/Legion of Honor ; Munich ; New York : DelMonico Books/Prestel, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 293 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 32 cm
- Reference LibraryN6767.5.P7 T78 2018 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This dazzling book examines the inspiration behind the work of the Pre-Raphaelites and offers comparisons between the radical 19th-century artists and the masterworks they revered. Started in the early 19th century by a group of British painters who rejected the sovereignty of the Royal Academy, the Pre-Raphaelites embraced the natural world and bright colors--as opposed to the dark palettes and amorphous lines that emerged in the wake of the Renaissance. Their mission was to be fundamentally modern by emulating the past. Now readers can appreciate their achievements in this volume that offers side-by-side comparisons of 19th-century masterpieces with the 15th- and 16th-century Early Italian and Early Netherlandish paintings that inspired them. Exquisite reproductions of works by Giotto, Fra Angelico, van Eyck, Botticelli, Titian, Veronese, and Raphael are presented alongside examples by William Holman Hunt, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Everett Millais, and others. The book traces the evolution of the Pre-Raphaelites, and details how these painters were exposed to the early masters as they traveled and encountered the finest European collections. The volume also features decorative arts, including stained glass and tapestries in emulation of Flemish and French textiles as well as "medievalized" ecclesiastic decorations. The result is an illuminating examination that delves into the Pre-Raphaelites' aesthetic vocabulary and broadens our understanding of their motives and inspiration"-- Provided by publisher.
This catalog was "published by the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco and DelMonico Books (Prestel) on the occasion of the exhibition of the same name at the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, from June 30 to September 30, 2018".
- Subject Terms:
- ART / Collections, Catalogs, Exhibitions / General.ART / History / Renaissance.ART / History / Romanticism.Art, Early Renaissance -- Exhibitions.Art, Early Renaissance -- Influence.Art, Early Renaissance.Art, English -- 19th century -- Themes, motives.Art, English -- Themes, motives.Exhibition catalogs.Pre-Raphaelitism.Pre-Raphaelitism.
- Exhibition catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
Truth & beauty , 2018