George Shaw : a corner of a foreign field / edited by Mark Hallett ; essays by Catherine Lampert, David Alan Mellor, Eugenie Shinkle and Thomas Crow ; interview by Jeremy Deller ; chronology by Alexandra Burston.
- New Haven, CT : Yale Center for British Art, in association with Yale University Press ; Bath : Holburne Museum ; London : Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 346 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 26 x 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.Sh26552 A12 2018 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This publication accompanies the exhibitions George Shaw : a corner of a foreign field, co- organized by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, on view 4 October-30 December 2018, and Holburne Museum, Bath, on view 8 February-6 May 2019."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Nominated for the Turner Prize in 2011, George Shaw (b. 1966) is one of Britain's leading contemporary painters, best known for his painstakingly detailed, luminous, and often elegiac representations of the British suburban landscape. Beautifully designed and generously illustrated, this book is the first to explore the entirety of Shaw's artistic output, which spans three decades. Beginning with his work at the Royal College of Art in the 1990s and ending with his most recent paintings, this volume places Shaw's work within the context of contemporary culture, from the traditions of English landscape painting to the repercussions of Brexit. An introductory essay and comprehensive catalogue texts by Mark Hallett are accompanied by essays on the artist's work by Tom Crow, Catherine Lampert, David Mellor, and Eugenie Shinkle. An interview between Shaw and the celebrated contemporary artist Jeremy Deller offers insight into this work from the perspective of the artist himself, while a fully illustrated chronology details the entirety of his career"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- ART / Individual Artists / General.England -- In art -- Exhibitions.England.Landscapes in art -- Exhibitions.Landscapes in art.Shaw, George, 1966-Shaw, George, 1966- -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
George Shaw , 2018