IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Archaeological Institute of America. Annual Meeting (118th : 2017 : Toronto, Ont.), Collecting and collectors from antiquity to modernity , 2018
Collecting and collectors from antiquity to modernity / edited by Alexandra Carpino, Tiziana D'Angelo, Maya Muratov, and David Saunders.
- Boston, MA : Archaeological Institute of America, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 252 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryN5750 .A67 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Sixteen papers originally presented in two colloquia and a workshop at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America in Toronto.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Subject Terms:
- Art objects -- Collectors and collecting -- United States -- Congresses.Art objects -- Collectors and collecting.Art patrons -- United States -- Congresses.Art patrons.Art, Etruscan -- Collectors and collecting -- United States -- Congresses.Gems, Ancient -- Collectors and collecting -- United States -- Congresses.United States.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
- Introduction / Alexandra A. Carpino
- The formation of the Etruscan collection at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston : the strategies of Edward Robinson and Rodolfo Lanciani / Helen Nagy
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Etruscans : collecting from the 1870s to the present / Richard De Puma
- Collecting Etruscans for California : the story of philanthropist Phoebe A. Hearst and archaeologist Alfred Emerson / Lisa C. Pieraccini
- Italian antiquities to American museums : notes on collecting at the turn of the twentieth century / Claire Lyons
- The impact of the 1970s UNESCO convention on unprovenanced Etruscan artifacts in the United States / Laetitia La Follette
- Introduction / Tiziana D'Angelo and Maya Muratov
- Romanae : collecting gems in Ancient Rome / Roberta Casagrande-Kim
- Collecting magical gems in the early modern period : from infancy to adulthood / Liliana Leopardi
- Collecting at Alnwick Castle : engraved gems in the collection of the Duke of Northumberland / Claudia Wagner
- "Fraudulent ingenuity" : Charles W. King and 19th-century collections of antique gems / Tiziana D'Angelo and Maya Muratov
- Introduction / David Saunders
- The stratigraphy of provenance / Caroline M. Rochleau
- The pitfalls and possibilities of provenance research : historic collections and the art market in the 20th century / Judith Barr
- The Tampa Poseidon = The Shugborough Neptune / Seth Pevnick
- Collecting Greek and Etruscan vases in 19th century Philadelphia / Ann Blair Brownlee
- A collaborative path for research into ancient and heritage objects / Sarah Kielt Costello and John Hopkins
- Verifying a provenance / Paul Denis
- "Said to be from" : best practices for using unscientific findspot information / Phoebe Segal