- Additional Title(s):
- Great Britain, late 19th century?
- Physical Description:
- 1 box ; 24 x 29 x 9 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ45.P3 W7 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The rim of the box interior is stamped in gold: "Parkins & Gotto, manufacturers, 24 & 25 Oxford St." Parkins & Gotto were active from ca. 1850 to ca. 1890.
The box lid is stamped in gold with the initials "E.M.F." A leather-covered wallet bears (on its paper covered side) the autograph of "Gillian Rutherford Parry."
Provenance: Constance Bullock-Davies; given to Gillian Rutherford Parry, of Llanfairpwlll, Anglesey, Wales, 1950s.
The portable writing box is fully covered in morocco, tooled in gold and black. The box base and lid house interior compartments variously lined with morocco, white paper, or green silk. The original brass lock and key are present. Compartments in the base and lid would have been used for storing letters, quill pens, blotting paper, writing paper and other implements.
The box includes two contemporary ink bottles (empty), with silver plated caps bearing the image of a crown and name of "Mosley's Revolving." Also present are a number of small white envelopes.
- Subject Terms:
- Bullock-Davies, Constance -- Ownership.Parry, Gillian Rutherford -- Autograph.Writing boxes.Writing materials and instruments -- Specimens.Writing.
- Boxes (containers)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.