William Hunter and the anatomy of the modern museum , 2018
- William Hunter and the anatomy of the modern museum / edited by Mungo Campbell and Nathan Flis ; with the assistance of María Dolores Sánchez-Jáuregui.
- New Haven, CT : Yale Center for British Art : Yale University Press ; Glasgow, UK : Hunterian, University of Glasgow, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 437 pages : color illustrations ; 31 cm.
- Reference LibraryAM343 .W545 2018 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "William Hunter and the Anatomy of the Modern Museum accompanies a groundbreaking exhibition organized by the Hunterian at the University of Glasgow, in collaboration with the Yale Center for British Art, to celebrate the 2018 tercentenary of The Hunterian's founder, Dr. William Hunter (1718-1783). This publication is the first in 150 years to assess the contribution made by Hunter, the Scottish-born obstetrician, anatomist, and collector, to the development of the modern museum as a public institution. Essays examine how Hunter gathered his collection to be used as a source of knowledge and instruction, encompassing outstanding paintings and works on paper, coins and medals, and anatomical and zoological specimens. Hunter also possessed ethnographic artifacts from Spain, the Middle East, China, and the South Pacific, and was an avid collector of medieval manuscripts and incunabula; these were all located within one of the most important "working" libraries of eighteenth-century London"-- Provided by publisher.
"This publication accompanies the exhibitions William Hunter and the Anatomy of the Modern Museum co-organized by The Hunterian Museum, Glasgow, on view 27 September 2018-6 January, 2019, and the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, on view 14 February-20 May 2019."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 413-421) and index.
- William Hunter : A Tercentenary Chronology / Seren Nolan -- Physician, Anatomist, Collector. William Hunter and the Anatomy of the Modern Museum : An Introduction / Mungo Campbell -- Skeletons in Hunter's Closet : James Douglas and the Fashioning of William Hunter / Nathan Flis -- Richard Mead and William Hunter / Craig Ashley Hanson -- Conceptions of Knowledge in William Hunter's Library / Matthew Sangster -- Scalpel to Burin : A Material History of William Hunter's Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus / Meredith Gamer -- "Extolled by Foreigners" : William Hunter's Collection and the Development of Science and Medicine in Eighteenth-Century Europe / Dominik Hunniger -- "A great collection of curiosities from the South Sea Islands" : William Hunter's Ethnography / Nicholas Thomas -- Anatomical Jars and Butterflies : William Hunter and His Museum for Inquiry / Maria Dolores Sanchez-Jauregui -- Catalogue of the Exhibition. Portraits and Papers / Mungo Campbell -- Pedagogy and Professional Practice / Mungo Campbell -- Anatomical Illustration and the Culture of Anatomy / Peter Black -- Anatomical Preparations / Maggie Reilly and Stuart McDonald -- The Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus / Mungo Campbell -- Paintings / Peter Black and Anne Dulau Beveridge -- The Library / Michelle Craig -- Coins and Medals / Donal Bateson -- Pacific and Other "Curiosities" / Nicholas Thomas -- Shells, Corals, Birds, Insects, and Other Preserved Animals / Maggie Reilly, Jeanne Robinson -- Ores and Fossils / John Faithfull, Neil Clark.
- Subject Terms:
- ART / Collections, Catalogs, Exhibitions / Permanent Collections.ART / Museum Studies.ART / Subjects & Themes / Human Figure.Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Collectors and collecting.Great Britain.Hunter, William, 1718-1783 -- Exhibitions.Hunter, William, 1718-1783.Museums -- History -- Exhibitions.Museums.
- Exhibition catalogs.