Pyramiden Spiel =, [ca. 1835?]
- Pyramiden Spiel = Jeu de pyramides.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Jeu de pyramides
- [Germany] : [publisher not identified], [ca. 1835?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 set of building blocks (54 pieces) : wood ; various sizes, in wooden box 18 x 23 x 3 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .P97 1835 FlatAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from box lid.
Comprising 54 pieces, each with a hand-colored design mounted on wood (one piece has a blank surface--paper missing), together with four hand-colored guide sheets titled in German, French and English. The four guide sheets show possible constructions for the blocks: an Egyptian pyramid; an Egyptian Obelisk; Indian monuments; and a mausoleum. The original box has a sliding lid with illustrated label depicting the Pyramids of Giza, with title in German and French. The blocks that make up the game have very mixed group of imagery including Greek sculpture with Centaur and Caryatids; astrological signs of stars and moon; Egyptian mummies; Roman fasces; and skull and crossbones. The blocks are generally trapezoidal in shape.
Durant, S. Architecture and Childhood: An Exhibition, Heinz Gallery, 1983, item 4
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Block building (Children's activity)Egypt -- Antiquities.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Mausoleums.Monuments.Pyramids.
- Building blocks.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.