IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Pyramiden Spiel =, [ca. 1835?]
Pyramiden Spiel = Jeu de pyramides.
- Additional Title(s):
Jeu de pyramides
- [Germany] : [publisher not identified], [ca. 1835?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 set of building blocks (54 pieces) : wood ; various sizes, in wooden box 18 x 23 x 3 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .P97 1835 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from box lid.
Durant, S. Architecture and Childhood: An Exhibition, Heinz Gallery, 1983, item 4
Comprising 54 pieces, each with a hand-colored design mounted on wood (one piece has a blank surface--paper missing), together with four hand-colored guide sheets titled in German, French and English. The four guide sheets show possible constructions for the blocks: an Egyptian pyramid; an Egyptian Obelisk; Indian monuments; and a mausoleum. The original box has a sliding lid with illustrated label depicting the Pyramids of Giza, with title in German and French. The blocks that make up the game have very mixed group of imagery including Greek sculpture with Centaur and Caryatids; astrological signs of stars and moon; Egyptian mummies; Roman fasces; and skull and crossbones. The blocks are generally trapezoidal in shape.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Block building (Children's activity)Egypt -- Antiquities.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Mausoleums.Monuments.Pyramids.
- Building blocks.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.