The quarters of the globe, or, Geographical dominoes : an instructive game.
- Additional Title(s):
Quarters of the globe
- London : Published by David Ogilvy, at his Repository for Rational Toys and Amusements, [ca. 1845?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (48 pieces) ; in box 17 x 13 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .Q37 1845 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from lithographed box top.
Imprint from instruction pamphlet.
A geographical variant on the game of dominoes. Whereas a conventional domino face is divided into two square ends bearing variant numbers of pips, the square ends of the domino-shaped cards in the present game bear either the name of a continent (Asia, Europe, America, or Africa) or the names of the geographical features of those four continents. The geographical features include the names of states, lakes, rivers, islands, etc. In placing tiles, players of the game must match names of continents with geographical features of the selected continent.
Accompanied by an instruction pamphlet (4,  pages) that includes a key to the geographical dominoes, followed by publisher's advertisements.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Geographical recreations -- Specimens.
- Educational games.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
YCBA Collections Search
The quarters of the globe, or, Geographical dominoes , [ca. 1845?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.