- Additional Title(s):
2001 Peter Norton Family Christmas project
Two thousand and one Peter Norton Family Christmas project
- [Santa Monica, Calif.] : [Peter Norton Family], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 peepshow ; 16 x 18 x 2 cm (closed), expanding to 16 x 18 x 23 cm (open)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.G32 P4 2001Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Miko McGinty Yale BA 1993, MFA 1998, in honor of Elisabeth FairmanAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "Made by Intervisual Communications, Inc."--Back cover.
Wrapped in silk covered board with ribbon tie.
BAC: British Art Center copy originally owned by Brooke Hodge. Accompanied by New Year's card from Regina Taylor and Peter Norton (2001). One side of the card features an image of the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center.
"The piece revives the antiquated 'peep show,' a toy-like device resembling a private, miniature theater that was popular in the 19th century. As we look through the peep hole to the scene inside the bellows, we see a deep, mossy well inhabited by siren-like figures gesturing toward a floating body that appears to be beyond their grasp. When we flip the object and through the back, this soul returns our stare. The photographs for this project were taken by Gaskell at the Netherworld Well on the grounds of Villa Regaleira in Sintra, Portugal. The design of the well and surrounding gardens are based on Dante's Inferno."--Printed card set atop front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- United States.Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321. Inferno.Hodge, Brooke -- Ownership.Norton family -- Art patronage.Quinta da Regaleira (Sintra, Portugal)
- Photography, Artistic.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.